We all wait for the barbecue season to cook our favorite recipes on one of our favorite Traeger grills. However, once the season arrives we use the same old ingredients as well as the condiments to prepare our recipes. If you really want to enjoy your barbecue, a better idea is to opt for some of the unusual recipes as well as condiments. Many people are afraid of experimentation. The truth is that, if you are able to experiment with new condiments, you would surely find a few which would appeal your taste buds.
We would today discuss with you 3 exotic condiments at your next BBQ which would add a zing to your recipes.
Sambal is a type of Chilli sauce but with a twist. Instead of just consisting of red chillis, it is actually a mixture of red chili along with sugar, vinegar, and salt. Oftentimes in order to make the sauce more aromaticm, ingredients like lime leaves or garlic or lemongrass is added.
Sambal can be easily prepared at your home.
- 8 onions finely chopped
- 8 chilies with seeds removed
- 5 cloves of garlic(sliced)
- 1 bunch of lemongrass sliced(thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup of tamarind
- 10 Dried chilies(soaked in water)
- 2 tablespoon of turmeric powder
- 3 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 8 tablespoon oil
1. You have to first create a paste by mixing onion, dried chili, tamarind, lemongrass, garlic, and chilies. After converting it into a paste, you have to add oil to it.
2. You have to take 5 tablespoons of oil in a heating utensil and heat it. After the oil is heated you have to add the paste and stir it until fragrant.
3. Continue the stirring process for 15 minutes on low flame.
4. You have to then add tamarind paste and sugar and salt.
5. You have to continue cooking it, till oil starts floating at the top. Once that happens, you have to turn off the flame.
Once it has cooled down it is ready for use.
Some of the applications of Sambals in BBQ recipes can be:
-BBQ Salted Fish: In this recipe, sambal sauce can be used as a dipping sauce while serving.
-Sambal Stingray: In this recipe, sambal sauce can be used as a garnish.
-Sambal Shrimp: In this recipe, sambal sauce is used for marination.
Besides these 3, there are quite a few other BBQ recipes, in which you can use the sambal sauce.
Kale-walnut pesto is pretty easy to make. It can be used as a condiment in various BBQ recipes.
You can make the Kale-walnut pesto using the following recipe.
- 1 kale(small bunch with ribs removed)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 halved walnuts(roasted)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
1. You have to boil some water in a larger pan and add chopped kale to the boiling water and let it cook for 30 seconds. After that, you have to drain the water and rinse kale in cold water and drain it again.
2. You have to then add parmesan cheese, walnuts, garlic, salt to it and mix it in a food processor at medium speed. After mixing you can add pepper for seasoning. You have to then add oil by pouring over the sides of the food processor bowl and mix it again slowly.
After completing this process, your Kale-walnut Pesto would be ready.
Some of the recipes in which you can use Kale-walnut Pesto are:
-Rosemary steak: In this recipe, you can garnish the steak with kale-walnut pesto.
-Grilled Turkey Scallopini: In this recipe as well, you can garnish with kale-walnut pesto.
Pine Nut Chimichurri Sauce
Pine Nut Chimichurri Sauce is native to Argentina. Pine Nut Chimichurri Sauce consists of different herbs and spices mixed with garlic. This sauce can work as topping as well as a marinade for a variety of meat options.
- 1 cup coriander
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 cloves of peeled garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup of chopped pine nut
1. Add everything in the food processor with the exception of pine nuts and grind them until minced.
2. Pour the mixture into a bowl and add pine nuts to it. Mix the pine nuts thoroughly with the mixture.
3. Cover the mixture and let it cool down in a refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
After refrigerating, your pine nut chimichurri sauce would be ready.
Some of the recipes in which you can use the pine nut chimichurri sauce are:
So, if you are looking for some exotic condiments for your next barbecue, these are the 3 options you can try out.
Finally, if you require guidance on buying a Traeger grill, check out our product reviews.